2280 Bethany Road
DeKalb, IL 60115
Radical Secularization and the Preservation of the Past in Petrograd and Leningrad, 1918–1988
“This is a major contribution to the field; there is no similar work. It opens a new lens for us to understand the Soviet Union and also complements work on church history, historic preservation, and city planning. Kelly engages extensively with the literature in all of those fields and manages to pack an incredible amount of detail into a highly readable and engaging text.” —Karl Qualls, author of From Ruins to Reconstruction: Urban Identity in Soviet Sevastopol after World War II
“Kelly clearly outlines the balancing act that officials undertook between state atheism and religious freedom, including employing inaction that achieved secularist goals through lack of financial support for repair. The work effectively challenges the assumption that Soviet Russia was entirely hostile to religious belief and practice.” —Publishers Weekly
In Russia, legislation on the separation of church and state in early 1918 marginalized religious faith and raised pressing questions about what was to be done with church buildings. While associated with suspect beliefs, they were also regarded as structures with potential practical uses, and some were considered works of art. This engaging study draws on religious anthropology, sociology, cultural studies, and history to explore the fate of these “socialist churches,” showing how attitudes and practices related to them were shaped both by laws on the preservation of monuments and anti-religious measures. Advocates of preservation, while sincere in their desire to save the buildings, were indifferent, if not hostile, to their religious purpose. Believers, on the other hand, regarded preservation laws as irritants, except when they provided leverage for use of the buildings by church communities. The situation was eased by the growing rapprochement of the Orthodox Church and Soviet state organizations after 1943, but not fully resolved until the Soviet Union fell apart.
October 2016, 440 pp., 34 illus, 6x9
Catriona Kelly is professor of Russian at the University of Oxford and a fellow of New College. She has written widely on Russian cultural history, including St Petersburg: Shadows of the Past.
Shopping Cart Operations
|Northern Illinois University Press 2280 Bethany Road, DeKalb, IL 60115 (ph) 815-753-1075 (fax) 815-753-1845|